Disclaimer: Calstuff and/or the opinions expressed are not affiliated with the University of California, Berkeley.
Recent Guest PostsTenants' Rights Week
by Jason Overman
SyndicationSite Feed (ATOM)
Add to LJ Friends
Cal Patriot Blog
UC Berkeley Livejournal
California Patriot Watch
The Bird House
Cal Prof on everything
Rants & Raves
Full Time Whiner
Cal "Frat" Boy
Jewish Students Blog
Personal as PublicSoft Boiled Life
Cal Alumni/ Squelch BlogsKedstuff
I Fought the Law
Ne Quid Nimis
Wednesday, April 24, 2002
It's a slow news day, so I think I'll write on my Love/Hate relationship with the Order of the Golden Bear.
I'll number the logical progression, so everyone can follow along.
1. I violate the Most Important Rule for potential OGB candidates: never ever want to be in the OGB. Regrettably, that's not the kind of person I am. Once I find out about all the cool stuff OGB does, like debates and such, I tell everyone I know how much I want to be in it.
2. I find out this DQ's me from ever being accepted. I am briefly pissed.
3. I come to the conclusion that this is a sensible rule. OGB needs to keep out the ambitious and the status-seekers in order to remain focused on Cal Service. Any rule that keeps out the masses of ASUC people is fine by me.
Now, here's where things get complicated! :)
4. It occurs to me that agreeing with my own disqualification once again qualifies me for OGB! After all, the purpose of the rule is to keep out the ambitious. But if I agree I never should be in OGB, then I can't be ambitious; I'm not even in the race!
5. Gladdened by this discovery, I realize I am once again Re-Disqualified! After all, how could OGB see the above as anything but a rhetorical trick to turn night into day? OGB shouldn't let dangerous people like me in!
6. I agree with the above.
7. Which makes me Qualified once more! Wait, no it doesn't, because clearly this is another bit of self-deception! But then I post about the whole inner dilemmna, proving I'm inwardly honest! But no, I'm using seeming transparency to try and get in again, except that argument makes sense, so in again!
8. BAM! Head explodes.
Which is where I am right now.
Of course, the there was also the realization that I'm not getting in no matter what rules I break. I can think of four or five people offhand who are twice as deserving as me. (COUGHCOUGHBrandonMillsCOUGHCOUGH.) Since they're not in, a single ASUC Director with a weak resume is hardly in the running.
OGB forever! Wait, nevermind that!
Email This Post!
Cal MagazinesHeuristic Squelch
Cal NewsitesDaily Californian
Hard Left News
East Bay Express
Cal OtherUC Rally Committee
Stand nineteen feet tall! Be united! Be tough! Be proud!
Cal's Student government
Cal's Student Portal