Disclaimer: Calstuff and/or the opinions expressed are not affiliated with the University of California, Berkeley.
Recent Guest PostsTenants' Rights Week
by Jason Overman
SyndicationSite Feed (ATOM)
Add to LJ Friends
Cal Patriot Blog
UC Berkeley Livejournal
California Patriot Watch
The Bird House
Cal Prof on everything
Rants & Raves
Full Time Whiner
Cal "Frat" Boy
Jewish Students Blog
Personal as PublicSoft Boiled Life
Cal Alumni/ Squelch BlogsKedstuff
I Fought the Law
Ne Quid Nimis
Tuesday, May 04, 2004
The shitty Code of Conduct revision is on the verge of passing. Essentially we've accomplished this much this year:
1) Delaying its implementation significantly. Without SAO Madan and other's efforts, the Conduct revision would've been submitted this November without consultation.
2) Representation is allowed in the event of the Hearing Panel agreeing to it. That's not an insubstantial victory; Panels are composed of students and faculty, who may be amenable to representation. It's certainly a step up.
But in general, not good enough! So what're our options from this point on? Negotiations having achieved as much as possible, it's probably time to organize, etc. This is more possible then one might think. Instead of dealing with the Administration, which is not really productive, we get to deal with the Academic Senate. That means Faculty members.
Antagonizing them SJP-style would almost definitely fail utterly. But an organized campaign to approach the individual members of the Senate Committee that approves this may well work. Maybe something similar to Lobby Day, where groups of students meet with the Faculty members.
Points to make:
1) It's the Administration we have a problem with, not you.
2) We're not against students being prosecuted for stupid shit, just for them being forced to prepare their own case, which is stupid.
3) We're not talking about students hiring Attorneys, typically, but simply student representation from the SAO office.
4) You know that the 'Learning Process' stuff is Administration bullshit. Why put up with it?
5) We are on your side.
Email This Post!
Cal MagazinesHeuristic Squelch
Cal NewsitesDaily Californian
Hard Left News
East Bay Express
Cal OtherUC Rally Committee
Stand nineteen feet tall! Be united! Be tough! Be proud!
Cal's Student government
Cal's Student Portal