Disclaimer: Calstuff and/or the opinions expressed are not affiliated with the University of California, Berkeley.
Recent Guest PostsTenants' Rights Week
by Jason Overman
SyndicationSite Feed (ATOM)
Add to LJ Friends
Cal Patriot Blog
UC Berkeley Livejournal
California Patriot Watch
The Bird House
Cal Prof on everything
Rants & Raves
Full Time Whiner
Cal "Frat" Boy
Jewish Students Blog
Personal as PublicSoft Boiled Life
Cal Alumni/ Squelch BlogsKedstuff
I Fought the Law
Ne Quid Nimis
Wednesday, December 15, 2004
More on the MCC and twLF and Senate Recall
This post isn't about any particular breaking news. Instead, it's a new place to house comments, as the old thread is getting very long (118 comments the last time I checked) and pushed down the page. This is also a place for me to attempt to synthesize some of the comments into the key points of contention between the various sides, as well as allow commenters to let me know where I'm off, as a lot of you are more knowledgeable about this than I am.
1. The Third World Liberation Front (twLF) has no right to ownership over the MCC. Yes, the agreement for an MCC came about because of the struggle of the twLF, but it appears that the administration just said that they would create a MCC(last paragraph), not put the twLF in charge of it. At the very least, I hope this is what they did, as it makes a lot more sense, because:
2. The twLF is not accountable to students and cannot be said to truly "represent" anyone. Anyone can say that they represent someone. The TWLF doesn't represent anyone beyond those people who choose to identify with that group. The ASUC, at the very least, holds their power because of democratic elections. Anything the ASUC does, it can reasonably claim it does as a representative of the students. The MCC needs to be held accountable to student interests, and the twLF is not in a position to fulfill that role.
3. The recall looks increasingly likely to occur. CalSERVE Senators have seemed rather agitated lately (Dorie Perez and Lakshmi Sirdaran for instance) , and much of this anger seems to be based on the marganalization that minority groups feel they are suffering with the current ASUC Senate. twLF appears to be the leader of this (perceived) marganalization, and it appears they've reached a breaking point, and are now ready to go nuclear.
4. There seems to be no meaningful distinction between the twLF people and the CalSERVE people in this whole recall business. I've heard reports of CalSERVE Senators collecting signatures on the recall petition, and frankly, it would be crazy of them not to get on board an effort that could effectively wipe Student Action out of the Senate. Not that I think the recall will be successful, but it's worth a shot, and if played right, could allow for some useful mobilization of the CalSERVE base prior to the spring elections.
5. Why is the tw not capitalized but the LF is in twLF?
Email This Post!
Cal MagazinesHeuristic Squelch
Cal NewsitesDaily Californian
Hard Left News
East Bay Express
Cal OtherUC Rally Committee
Stand nineteen feet tall! Be united! Be tough! Be proud!
Cal's Student government
Cal's Student Portal