Disclaimer: Calstuff and/or the opinions expressed are not affiliated with the University of California, Berkeley.
Recent Guest PostsTenants' Rights Week
by Jason Overman
SyndicationSite Feed (ATOM)
Add to LJ Friends
Cal Patriot Blog
UC Berkeley Livejournal
California Patriot Watch
The Bird House
Cal Prof on everything
Rants & Raves
Full Time Whiner
Cal "Frat" Boy
Jewish Students Blog
Personal as PublicSoft Boiled Life
Cal Alumni/ Squelch BlogsKedstuff
I Fought the Law
Ne Quid Nimis
Tuesday, February 15, 2005
Blah Blah Blah Felarca Blah ASUC Blah Daily Cal
So, the Daily Cal gets major kudos here for saying something right and taking a strong position doing it. The editorial rightfully assaults the stance that Senator Felarca has taken during her federal lawsuit against the ASUC (see previous CalStuff editorial) and discusses the many other productive ways that the $15,000 she has been authorized for a settlement could have been spent. My choice picks:
- Saved 3,750,000 square feet of rain forest in UC Berkeley’s name. (Hey, I'm a nature lover.)
- Extended AirBears to more parts of the residence halls.
- Helped out 1,000 of the most economically disadvantaged students with textbook costs.
- Covered the fees of two in-state students for two semesters.
- Covered the stolen ASUC Bookswap money nearly twice over.
Other possibilities not mentioned by the DC editorial:
- Upgraded the equipment in the rapidly-aging ASUC Publication Center.
- Provided more funding to smaller, poorer-represented groups in the ASUC.
- Organized Ten Jello Wrestling tournaments on Sproul Plaza.
- Opened the Eshleman Study Lounge for longer hours for the rest of the year.
- Increased lobbying for better admissions policies for underrepresented minorities (oh, the irony)Email This Post!
Cal MagazinesHeuristic Squelch
Cal NewsitesDaily Californian
Hard Left News
East Bay Express
Cal OtherUC Rally Committee
Stand nineteen feet tall! Be united! Be tough! Be proud!
Cal's Student government
Cal's Student Portal